Pisto Manchego – Ratatouille - Ciabotto
Recipe and variations
Fresh vegetables, summer, pisto, ratatouille, ciabotto, caponata, mediterranean
- Zucchini, eggplants, peppers, onions, fresh tomatoes in different proportion according to taste
- Garlic to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
1. Wash and prepare all vegetables, cutting them in slices, cubes or sticks according to taste. It is important that pieces have more or less the same size, to ensure even cooking time.
2. Start cooking the onion (and garlic if included) in a pan with some olive oil.
3. Add all other vegetables, based on their cooking time, ending with tomatoes.
4. Let it simmer until all vegetables are cooked.
5. Garnish with fresh basil or parsley.
Variations: in some local recipes, potatoes are also added. In some regions all vegetables are deep fried separately and then mixed together with fresh tomatoes or tomato sauce.
“Caponata”: typical from Sicily: ingredients are deep fried separately and include onions, eggplants and celery; fresh diced tomatoes are added at the end, together with olives (green and/or black) and capers, a pinch of sugar and a drizzle of wine vinegar, to result in a sweet-sour dish. It is served cold, after a rest to ensure that all ingredients and tastes mix well.
Vegetables are a source of vitamins and anti-oxidants (tomatoes); extra virgin olive oil is a monounsaturated vegetable fat protecting the cardiocirculatory system.
The use of local and fresh ingredients make this a 0 Km recipe.
Fresh vegetables, extra virgin olive oil.