Fruits, vegetables, aromatic herbs, vegetarian, vegan, daily consumption
Module 2, Unit 2, Level: Basic
Uses and techniques
Fruits, vegetables, herbs
Vegetables, herbs, and fruits should be the foundation of our diet and that is why it has a prominent position in the Mediterranean food guide pyramid.
In general, they are a source of defenses against infections. Among their advantages:
● Eating vegetables and ecological fruit prevents using chemical products. Moreover, they give you more nutrients and they are tastier.
● Thanks to the quantity of water they contain, they are a source of hydration.
● They help to eliminate toxins.
● The fiber they contain regulate the intestinal transit, preventing constipation.
● They level out cholesterol.
● Being low in fat they help to keep our weight under control.
● Most of them are rich in vitamin A and C, which help to protect our eyesight.
● They supply us with serotonin, which helps to keep a positive mood.
● We find mostly benefits among aromatic herbs which help us to improve our mood or combat stress or insomnia.
● Eating vegetables, herbs and fruits regularly helps to prevent diseases like cancer, cardiac, degenerative diseases and diabetes.
● They are also used in the world of cosmetics and medicine, being beneficial for the skin, oral and body hygiene, among others.
Within them, the edible part can depend on the species, from the root, the stem, the leaves, the flower or the fruit.
In warm climates like the Mediterranean, we can find a broader variety of produce.
Vegetables: Chard, garlic, artichoke, celery, eggplant, pumpkin, onion, cauliflower, chicory, endive, spinach, green bean, lettuce, cucumber, pepper, leek, radish, beet, tomato, carrots.
Fruits: figs, grapes, oranges, melon, watermelon, plums, peaches and even avocados or mango which despite not being locally produced, adapt quite well to this climate.
Aromatic herbs: Many of them are exclusive of these climates, we can find thyme, rosemary, basil, sage, etc.
There are relatively low risks by eating vegetables, herbs and fruits.
● We can find some kinds of problems related to their toxicity, when buying without guarantees, because of the use of pesticides and fertilizers without control.
● Buying ecological produce is more expensive.
● Buying local produce reduces seasonality and variety.