Legumes, broth, pasta, rice, meat, seafood
Some traditional combinations:
- Pasta e ceci (Chickpeas and pasta soup, Italy): Chickpeas, garlic, rosemary, pasta.
- Potajes (legumes and vegetables, Spain); a richer and heavier version is Puchero, where animal fat and meat are added
- Feijoada de mariscos (beans and seafood soup, Portugal)
- Ertwensoep (dried peas, meat, Belgium and the Netherlands)
- Cassoulet (white beans, pork meat and sausages, France)
Legumes are a very good source of vegetable proteins; when combined with cereals (rice, pasta, etc) the value of proteins is similar to that of animal proteins.
They are high in minerals, especially potassium, iron and phosphorus.
A dish based on legumes can be considered a complete meal, thanks to its nutritional values.
Choosing local products is an environmentally friendly option.
All legumes, fresh or dried.
The main risk concerning dried legumes refers to conservation: it is important to keep them in a dry and cool place, and follow the indications of the labels.