Recipe and further information
Pesto, tomatoes, garlic, pasta sauce, cheese, pecorino, basil
There are many other versions of Pesto, as the one presented in this fiche.
Trapani is a town on the West Coast of Sicily; Pesto alla Trapanese is based on local ingredients: fresh tomatoes, almonds (a typical Sicilian product), garlic, basil and olive oil.
Traditionally, pesto is made with a (stone) mortar; you can use a blender, in this case make sure that olive oil covers all ingredients, to avoid the pesto to blacken due to contact with air under the action of the blades.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 2 fresh tomatoes (around 250 gr)
- 1 garlic clove (traditional, but optional)
- 50 gr almonds
- 50 gr fresh basil
- 2 table spoons grated cheese (Pecorino or Parmesan)
- Olive oil* to taste
1. Peel and seed the tomatoes (you can dip them very quickly in boiling water, after having cut a cross on their bottom: it will be very easy to peel them off), cut them into pieces
2. In a blender, mix the tomatoes with the almonds, the garlic clove (peeled), the fresh basil; cover with olive oil*, blend
3. Add two t.s. of grated cheese
If you want to use it for your pasta, just add it to the hot cooked pasta, keeping aside a glass of its boiling water in case the sauce gets too thick. Add more olive oil* and more grated cheese if necessary.
You can keep the pesto in the fridge for a couple of days, or freeze it in small pots; in both cases make sure the surface is completely covered in olive oil*.
Added to the other ingredients before blending
- Salted anchovies
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Fresh ricotta cheese (after blending)
Added to the pasta:
- Tuna fish, preserved in oil
- Fresh tuna, in cubes, quickly sautéed
- Shrimps, cooked
- Eggplant in dices, deep fried or sautéed
- Zucchini in thin slices, deep fried or sautéed
*“Olive Oil = extra virgin olive oil
A fresh sauce combining fresh ingredients for a quick and tasty dish.
Local products make this recipe 0 km.
All ingredients contain healthy elements: vegetable oil (olive oil and almonds), vitamin C and precious anti-oxidants (tomatoes), calcium (grated cheese) and garlic is a natural anti-biotic.
Fresh tomatoes; basil; almonds; extra-virgin olive oil